Frequently Asked Questions

American Indian Programs

The American Indian Program (AIP) offers services that help American Indian students succeed and achieve their post-secondary goals. We are committed to supporting students on both a personal and an academic level. The AIP nurtures student success by connecting students to on-campus resources and support services, which help students acclimate to NMSU’s diverse campus.

The AIP provides students with guidance and academic advising, scholarship opportunities, employer recruiting visits, computer and social outlets, library resources, and referral to other campus resources designed to promote student success.

  • No, NMSU does not have a discount specifically for Native American students.
  • NMSU does follow the residency requirements and waivers through NM HED for NM Tribe Enrolled Members who are living out of state. “American Indian nations, tribes, and pueblos. All out of state members of an American Indian nation, tribe, and pueblo, located wholly or partially in New Mexico, regardless of the residence of the member prior to acceptance at a post-secondary educational institution shall be eligible to pay the in-state tuition rate.” -
  • To see if you qualify, please contact the American Indian Program at 575-646-4207.
  • The American Indian Program is a department on campus, so you don't have to sign up or join, unlike a club.
  • To learn more about the services and events of the American Indian Program, visit To sign up for their listserve emails, contact Britney Stout at with the subject AIP Bulletin Sign up, and your name, Aggie ID, and NMSU email address in the body of the email.
Work with a Tribal Official (Governor/President, Chapter/Village Official, Interpreter, etc.) from the language you are using to verify and acknowledge your language fluency. Have them write a letter on the official letterhead of their office or department, your information (Name, College, Major, Aggie ID), and submit it to the American Indian Program director, Michael Ray, at He will write a supporting document and send it to your college academic dean. The language fluency verification will take place for the requirement, but it will not take place for the number of credits needed to graduate. Please work with your academic advisor to see if additional classes are required.
NMSU has an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with some tribal communities in New Mexico and one in Texas. Please ask your Tribal Education/Empowerment/Administrators Office or for Navajo Nation students ONNSFA (Office of Navajo Nation Scholarship and Financial Assistance) to get more information about eligibility and requirements specific to the tribal community.
  • Depending on what tribal community you believe you are from, you can contact their enrollment office (requires google search) to see what membership requirements are as they vary among all tribal communities. If you are unsure, this is an excellent time to have conversations with your family to know more about your personal history.
  • The notion of “free” items (School, Health Care, etc.) is usually limited to those who live on or near a reservation and is generally limited to the services the tribal community provides (reservation schools and IHS providers).
More at

Center for Academic Advising and Student Support

The Center for Academic Advising and Student Support (CAASS) provides academic and career advising for all undergraduate students regardless of major. Academic advisors are here to help you make the most of your academic experience at NMSU on your journey to graduation. Visit with your advisor on a regular basis to discuss topics, such as:

  • Navigating graduation requirements and reading your STAR degree audit
  • Planning or changing your schedule each semester
  • Exploring the connection between majors and careers
  • Understanding and calculating your GPA

You can find your academic advisor here.
You can find the instructions to schedule an appointment with your advisor here.
You can declare or change your major/minor here.

The Center for Academic Advising and Student Support has created a video about the 4 ways in which classes will be offered at NMSU for the 2020-2021 academic year:

A summary of the delivery methods is:

  • 100% online asynchronous delivery: Students complete work independently, on their own schedule, no matter what time of day. Students are given deadlines by which they need to login and complete assignments.
  • 100% online synchronous delivery: Classes occur on set schedules through remote delivery. Students and instructors are online at the same time, and lectures, discussions, and presentations take place at specific hours. All students must be online at that time in order to participate in the class.
  • Hybrid (online with required in-person attendance): Content delivery incorporates more than one modality, e.g., face-to-face and remote synchronous or asynchronous delivery. Face-to-face attendance is limited and may include alternating in-person and online synchronous or asynchronous attendance; may also provide recordings of lectures or experiential components for later reference to supplement concurrent transmission of lectures or experiential components. All students participate in all delivery modalities.
  • Face-to-face delivery: Classes will be offered in person at scheduled times. The classrooms will be set up for social distancing, and students will be expected to wear masks and follow campus COVID-19 policies.
  • Flex (NMSU-Grants Campus only): Students can choose whether to attend face-to-face or remotely via synchronous video conferencing tools. Face-to-face attendance is limited and may include alternating attendance options; may also provide recordings of lectures or experiential components for later reference to supplement concurrent transmission of lectures or experiential components. Students may not participate in all delivery modalities.

Read all about NMSU’s Instructional Readiness plan at

When we planned the fall 2020 schedule, we had very different expectations for college and university life. However, that schedule is the basis for our preparations, and we will hold to it as much as possible as we adapt to reduce opportunities for viral transmission.

Face-to-face classes will resume in August, but not all classes will be offered face-to-face. Teams are assessing physical arrangement of the rooms, mode of instruction, ventilation, entry, and exit. We’re considering course type, priorities, and demand in determining which courses will be offered in which formats. Our goal is for instructors and students to have options that help meet their teaching, learning and safety needs.

Our classroom spaces are being modified to provide additional protection for instructors, such as acrylic barriers, microphones, and technology to facilitate remote teaching. To reduce congestion in buildings, instructions will be posted about entry and exit paths and to discourage students gathering in hallways, lobbies, or using elevators unless necessary. Teaching spaces will be disinfected regularly to reduce COVID-19 spread. In addition to disinfection by Facilities & Services crews, NMSU will install about 1,300 sanitation stations, and disinfectant wipes will be available for students to clean their spaces before and after use, similar to the model commonly used in gyms and fitness centers.

Read all about NMSU’s Instructional Readiness plan at

You will see the following descriptions in, to explain the instructional delivery method for each class:

  • HY: Online with Req In Person Mtgs (online with required in-person meetings)
  • ONL: Online with Synchronous Mtgs (100% online w/synchronous meetings)
  • WB: Online no Synchronous Mtgs (100% online asynchronous)
  • CL: Classroom/Lecture (fully in-person)
  • LB: Lab (in-person labs)
  • IND: Independent Meeting
  • PC: Practicum/Clinical
  • TD: Thesis/Dissertation
More at

Chicano Programs

Chicano Programs at NMSU is a support service that promotes and empowers all student success through education, advocacy and development of cultural literacy. Chicano Programs supports students of ALL ethnic/racial backgrounds. However, for the purposes of our work, the word “Chicano” in the name of our office, is intended to also include all domestic students who self-identify as “Hispanic” or Latina/o/x. We specialize in supporting first-generation/low income college students in navigating the university environment.

When it is safe to return to campus, visit us at Garcia Center, Room 138.

Advocacy work with students regarding any questions or concerns they have in resolving academic, financial, or personal issue relating to school. Helping students navigate and understand college life. Assist students in finding scholarships, and tips on applying for scholarships. We also assist students in reviewing their resumes, as well as give out information of work opportunities, volunteer opportunities through Lat-List. Lat-List is also used to email information on scholarships from across the U.S. Students also have access to our lab. Chicano Programs works with DACA and undocumented students in providing access to higher education or with questions relating to navigating the university. We also work with student organizations under Hispanic Council.

Chicano Programs also works with the community by providing trainings for accessing higher education, informational sessions for DACA/undocumented students or preparing for college workshops. We also work with local schools through our Generaciones (mother/daughter program).

You can be part of our program by engaging in one of the organizations in Hispanic Council, such as Latinos in Science and Engineering (MAES), Mujeres y Hombres Activ@s Revolucionari@s (MHAR), Kappa Delta Chi (KDCHI), and others. You can also be part of our email list called Lat-List (Latino-List). Through Lat-List, we send out important information regarding scholarship opportunities that are not on Scholar Dollar, internships, and/or fellowships. You can also just stop by introduce yourself to the staff and use our resources. Either of the three work! ¡Estas en tu casa en Programas Chicanos!
No, we serve all students of the NMSU community, the only exception is that we do only serve domestic students. Students on visas or otherwise known as international students are referred to international programs, as we are not specialized in the policies and regulations they must follow.
If you are a student/staff with a valid NMSU credentials email and password, you can use our lab. It is open from 8am-5pm and a computer technician is available to help use the computers if needed.
Chicano Programs does gives out scholarships, however, they are managed through the Scholar Dollar system. You must apply and maintain an updated application to get a chance to get one of our scholarships. We can help you with your application. Your chances to get one of our scholarships are higher if you are also part of Lat-List, and your application is thoroughly complete. We also have a special scholarship to those involved in Hispanic Council or one of the organizations in the Council.
More at

Graduate School

We at the Graduate School are here to aid with admission, enrollment, degree planning and completion. We assist current and future graduate students, faculty and staff, so please feel free to reach with any potential inquiries.

Exam forms can be found here.
Due dates and deadlines can be found here.
Graduate School will be accepting digitally completed forms from official NMSU email addresses. The forms need to be signed off on and complete, but the signatures can be digital. They also can be scanned and emailed, if signed in paper format. Please route the exam forms (scheduling exams to take place) to Please route Exam Results, Programs of Study, Transfer Credit Request forms, Master’s Accelerated Forms, Degree Audit Exception forms, and Change of Admission Semester Forms to
Yes, the CARES Act provides aid to Title IV qualifying students who experienced unexpected costs resulting from on-campus disruption caused by COVID-19. Due to limited funding, the application can be found and submitted for process here.

Important Links

More at

International Student and Scholar Services

International Students and Scholar Services office of New Mexico State University is here to help you with your application to NMSU, answer any questions you might have about coming to study at NMSU, and provide immigration support for our returning students and scholars.

NMSU Information

All F-1 students and J-1 scholars are required to have the NMSU student health insurance, administered through the Aggie Health and Wellness Center. New students purchase this plan as part of the orientation activities in the week before classes begin. Scholars should purchase their plan as soon as they arrive to NMSU.

The policy costs for 2019-20 are as follows:

Fall 2019 : $660

Spring 2020: $660

**For students beginning their program at NMSU for the first time in Spring 2020, the cost will be $770.

Many students ask if they can purchase a health plan in their country for use here. In almost all cases this is not acceptable, and thus we strongly discourage students from purchasing such policies.

All students and scholars must ensure that they have health insurance coverage at all times. F-1 and J-1 student visa holders will not be able to register for classes until this requirement is met every semester.

Information about the international student health insurance plan can be found at the Relation website here.

See also this page regarding health insurance for international students.

Application Information

Submitted academic documents must be official original documents (or officially attested copies), and English translations must be provided. Official documents (preferably unopened) coming from your original educational institutions are required if obtainable. If not, you may have copies of official documents attested as official at an educational governmental office in your home country, or an EducationUSA Advising Center.

Many colleges, universities and high schools around the world now can provide English-language documents for their students and graduates. If not, applicants need to obtain official translations from a company or individual recognized as an approved translator in their country or in the US.

Beginning Spring 2019, applications for admission must include a professional foreign credit evaluation report from  a member institution of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)  for every transcript from a foreign secondary school and/or university attended.

The undergraduate application process and list of needed documentation can be found here. Applications should be done using the online application. International undergraduate applications are processed by International Student and Scholar Services and international graduate applications are processed by the Graduate School.  Full admission information is available in the university catalog (the NMSU catalog is available here).

Students who have attended colleges or universities outside the United States are required to submit to the university:

  • All official college transcripts and diploma (if applicable) in their original language; and
  • A certified word-for-word English translation by an NMSU-preferred accredited evaluation agency.
  • To have coursework considered for transfer credit, provide course descriptions or syllabi taken at the time the coursework was completed. A certified English translation is required.

Graduate applicants apply to the specific department which reviews the application materials and upon meeting university requirements are given an admission decision by the Graduate School. The final admission decision is made only after the Graduate School receives all the necessary documentation. Application information for graduate students can be found here. Graduate applicants may have additional application requirements depending on their academic department. Please view Graduate Degrees for more information.

All needed documentation must be received and evaluated before an official admission decision can be made.

Please note that all previous college and university coursework must be disclosed on the application.

Visa documents are not issued until an applicant is admitted and provides proof of financial ability to pay for one year's cost of study and living (see figures here.) We recommend beginning your application process well in advance (6 months or more) of your expected start date, especially for graduate applicants.

For more information on the application process, see our application page.

The application fee is $50.

NMSU does not have a university-wide application deadline, but at the graduate level some departments have deadlines, please view the department deadlines here.
The deadlines for undergraduate admissions at NMSU are:

For applications for Fall semester enrollment:

  • Deadline for filling out online application: July 1
  • Deadline for all application related supporting documents like transcripts, etc. to reach our office: July 15

For applications for Spring semester enrollment:

  • Deadline for filling out online application: November 15
  • Deadline for all application related supporting documents like transcripts, etc. to reach our office:  December 1
The GPA requirement is a 2.75 out of 4, or above. The TOEFL requirement is a 68.
You can track the status of your application by logging in to your slate portal.

English Requirements Information

The purpose of English Language Placement Test (ELPT) for placement into the correct English course(s) upon your arrival at NMSU.

  • The ELPT is an important verification test, and should be taken seriously.
  • Non-completion of the test, and/or not showing up for the test, will impact your enrollment at NMSU for the Fall semester

International students that are required to complete the ELPT will receive an informative email, with information about the test date and location, prior to their arrival at NMSU.

Results from the ELPT will be provided to students' College Dean and the Director of ISSS from placement purposes. The student will receive an email, sent to their NMSU account, with information in regard to the required English course(s) and holds placed onto their account.

More at

Military and Veterans Program

New Mexico State University (NMSU) is a military and veteran friendly university which strives to provide the best possible service for our military, veteran, and their dependents as they pursue their educational goals.

First, learn about GI Bill eligibility requirements online or by calling the GI Bill Hotline 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET. To apply for the GI Bill and related benefits, go to or call 888-442-4551. To apply for VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31), go to .
In some cases, the dependent or surviving spouse and children of a Veteran can get educational assistance through a GI Bill program. Learn more about Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) Also, if the service member has unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, they may be able to transfer up to 36 months of benefits to their spouse or a dependent child. Learn more about Transfer of Eligibility for Dependents and Spouse (Chapter 33).
The VA will mail the Certificate of Eligibility (COE), or award letter, within 30 days from the date the VA application was submitted. The COE includes details of the VA education benefit that the student is entitled. Applicants can call the GI Bill Hotline 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551), two-weeks after applying, to learn if they are eligible.
In order to start a file with Military and Veterans Programs (MVP), the student must be registered for courses and have applied for VA Education Benefits (apply at Once that is complete, please send MVP the following proper documents:
  • Information Sheet
  • Student Responsibilities Form
  • MVP Resident Tuition Waiver
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Chapter 31 VR&E VA Authorization
  • Concise Student Schedule and STAR Degree Audit (must be submitted every semester).
Once the proper documents are sent, MVP will inform the student if additional documents are needed. Please be aware that VA certification is not an automatic process, students must submit to MVP their paperwork every semester in order to get certified. Students may email or call (575) 646-4524 for any questions and concerns. See Student Certification Checklists for proper documents detailed information.
Student must notify MVP of any changes to their schedule. Failure to notify MVP of any schedule changes may delay processing of certification, reduction in pay allowance, and/or termination of benefits. Student must provide MVP with the following: Added course(s): Concise Student Schedule and STAR Degree Audit Report or Academic Degree Plan or Program of Study for Master’s Students Dropped course(s): Concise Student Schedule or an email notification.


  • Full Ten-Week Term: 7 or more
  • Eight-Week Term: 6 or more
  • Five-Week Term: 4 or more


  • Full-Term (16-Week Term): 12 or more
  • Eight-Week Term: 6 or more


  • Full Ten-Week Term: 6 or more
  • Five-Week Term: 4 or more


  • Full-Term (16-Week Term): 9 or more
  • Eight-Week Term: 6 or more

See Training Time located on the Military and Veterans Programs website.

Pay amount depends on the VA Chapter the student is entitled. Chapter on the VA Pay Rates located on the MVP website. Students are encouraged to use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to learn about each of the VA education benefits and compare their pay rate information.
NMSU will award academic credit to United States military personnel for courses and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), based on the American Council of Education Guide (ACE) as well as through national standardized tests, such as CLEP, AP, PEP and DANTES. Credit for military-training is in accordance with NMSU Faculty Senate Legislation Proposition 24-07/08, which was passed in May 2008. Military Training and Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) must have a recommendation evaluation by ACE (in the ACE Guide) for credit to be awarded. Courses accepted for transfer credit become part of the student’s official NMSU transcript and academic record. See NMSU Catalog for more information. Request military transcripts at: Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy Transcripts: Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Transcripts:
Military & Veterans Programs will certify the students’ enrollment to the VA in the order proper documentation is received from the student every semester. VA certification is not an automatic process, students must submit to MVP their paperwork every semester in order to get certified (see Student Certification Checklists). It takes approximately 30 days from the date received for MVP to certify it to the VA. After MVP certifies the students’ enrollment, it takes the VA another 30 – 45 days to award the students’ VA benefit. To check on payment status, students should call the GI Bill Hotline 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551). Chapters 30 and 1606: Students must verify their enrollment with the VA at the end of each month to receive their monthly stipend. If verification is not received, Chapter 30 and 1606 students will not receive their monthly stipend. Students may call 877-823-2378 or submit an online W.A.V.E. verification.
In-state tuition is available to military, veterans and their dependents. Eligibility is determined on whether the student meets one of the requirements from the waivers listed below. Students must complete the MVP waiver form and email or fax 575-646-1113 along with supporting documentation. US VETERAN WAIVER: On the basis of New Mexico House Bill 427 (2015), I certify that I am a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard) and that I am eligible for Veterans’ Education benefits under Federal law. VETERAN/MILITARY DEPENDENT WAIVER (VA benefit eligible): On the basis of New Mexico House Bill 427 (2015), I certify that I am a dependent/spouse of a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard) and that I am eligible for Veterans’ Education benefits under Federal law. ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY WAIVER: On the basis of New Mexico House Bill 427 (2015), I certify that I am in the military service of the United States, on active duty, and that I am eligible for Veterans’ Education benefits and/or Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance benefits under Federal law. ACTIVE DUTY DEPENDENT/SPOUSE MILITARY WAIVER: On the basis of New Mexico House Bill 427 (2015), I certify that I am a dependent/spouse of a military service member of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard) who is presently stationed within the exterior boundaries of the State of New Mexico, including Ft. Bliss, or that I am eligible for Veterans’ Education benefits and/or Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance benefits under Federal law.

Important Links

More at

Student Accessibility Services

New Mexico State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified NMSU students in accordance with state and federal laws. Student Accessibility Services at New Mexico State University offers a variety of services to students with documented physical, learning, or psychological disabilities. Please feel free to drop by our office or contact us for additional information.

The SAS Office works with individuals who have a permanent or temporary disability to ensure equal access within NMSU.

Documentation depends on the disability – see

Registering with the SAS office is simple, you simply need to fill out the Petition of Accommodation form located at the following link: and make an appointment with the office.

There is not a typical accommodation since accommodations are determined on an individual basis but the following are the most utilized accommodations: Extended time on testing, testing in a distraction reduced environment, American Sign Language interpreters, etc..
More at

University Accounts Receivable

We administer student accounts, various University departmental receivables, and process retiree insurance billing and payment.

This is the department that generates student billing statements, answers questions about student accounts, and accepts payment for tuition, fees, housing charges, meal plans, and other activities requiring payment.

You can pay online here.

Payments can be made over the phone between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. using a debit or credit card by calling 575-646-4911 or 575-646-3927.

Payments can be made in person between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. by visiting the Accounts Receivable office location in the Educational Services Center.

Mail payments to:

University Accounts Receivable
New Mexico State University
PO Box 30001, MSC 4570
Las Cruces, NM 88003

We accept cash, check, money order, MasterCard, Discover, Visa, or American Express.
Non-U.S. banking/financial institutions cannot be used to make a payment.
NMSU has partnered with Flywire in order to streamline the process of international payments. Flywire allows you to pay securely from any country and any bank, generally in your home currency. For more information on Flywire,

NMSU uses an electronic billing system, commonly referred to as eBill. Each month, current term enrolled students with outstanding balances on their account receive an email notification from containing a password secured Student Billing Statement notifications and for making payments on time.

NMSU mails a billing statement to non-enrolled students at the beginning of each month. Non-enrolled students are responsible for keeping their address on file current.

Click on this website for steps to view recent activity on your student account since your last billing statement.
Tuition and fees were not paid in full by the established deadline date.
Students are both financially and academically responsible to drop their classes by the drop deadline. If an unforeseen circumstance prevented you from completing the semester, you can try to petition for a withdrawal with Student Records.
Courses dropped/changed during the schedule change period may have an impact on tuition and fees assessed. UAR recommends that all students review their student account immediately after the schedule additions, drops, or changes for a full understanding of the financial impact. Financial Aid recipients should contact Financial Aid and Scholarship Services before reducing hours to less than full-time states for a complete understanding of the financial aid impact.

Financial Aid Recipients should contact Financial Aid and Scholarship Services before withdrawing. Students receiving funds awarded by University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services should be aware of policies regarding withdrawal from the University. Students withdrawing from classes are responsible for payment of any balance due after the required return of Federal student aid funds.

Students wishing to officially withdraw from the University must withdraw on or before the Official Withdrawal Period dates to receive a 100% credit of tuition and fees. The Official Withdrawal Period dates can be found by term at on the University Student Records website.

Generally, financial aid is credited to the student’s account before the beginning of the semester to pay for tuition and fees. Any excess is refunded to the student. Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Services directly for additional information.
Students are encouraged to complete direct deposit information to have financial aid, or other student account refunds, deposited directly into a checking or savings account. More information and instructions on setting up direct deposit can be found
If you acquire a refund check from UAR and subsequently lose, mutilate or destroy the check, UAR will require you to sign an Affidavit and have it notarized upon a request for a replacement check. Please contact UAR for assistance.
Financial aid funds will be used to pay eligible charges posted during the aid year funds are being disbursed. This means that even though you are receiving a financial aid refund, you may still have a balance due from a previous term, or a miscellaneous charge in your current term, that financial aid is not authorized to pay. Please review your account on a regular basis and pay all remaining charges once your financial aid has been refunded.
At NMSU, we recognize the vital role others may play in the success of our student’s education. For some students, it is the parents who pay for their child’s education. While we understand that many questions arise, it is our obligation under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to comply with each student’s right to privacy. Students may provide Proxy Access to parents/others. By setting up proxy access, the student permits their proxy to view information online and to have discussions about such information with UAR staff members.
Instructions on creating a Proxy can be found
A financial hold is placed on a student’s account when there is a past due balance. A hold will prevent you from registering for classes and obtaining transcripts. If your account is currently on hold please go to to make a payment online, call to pay over the phone, or come to the Educational Services Center to pay in-person. Contact UAR if your student account is still on hold after making the payment.

The 1098-T form is produced each January and is used by the student or taxpayer in determining eligibility for a tuition tax credit under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.

The 1098-T is mailed by the end of January each year.

Students may view their 1098-T by January 31st via their myNMSU. From the Student tab, select the Student Account link and then select Tax Notification. Enter the desired tax year and click Submit.

Students may view prior year 1098-T’s via their myNMSU. From the Student tab, select the Student Account link and then select Tax Notification. Enter the desired tax year and click Submit.
Only students eligible to receive a 1098-T will have one available through their myNMSU. For information on eligibility, please visit the IRS’s Publication on 1098-T’s.

Payment Plan

The Payment Plan for Fall 2020 will be available beginning August 3, 2020; the last day to enroll is September 4, 2020.
Yes, it is $25 (non-refundable).
No, mini-semester 2 sessions follow the same Payment Plan requirements. If you sign up for a mini-semester 2 session after September 4, 2020, your remaining payments will adjust to reflect any increases in tuition and fee charges.
You are responsible for ensuring your financial guarantee is turned in to the Third Party Coordinator no later than the first day of classes. Should you need further assistance with this process, please contact the third party liaison at
Whenever you make a change to your schedule (adding/dropping classes), the Payment Plan will adjust your payments accordingly. Additionally, if you have funding placed on your account late in the semester your Payment Plan amount due will decrease.
No. Should you fail to make a scheduled payment, holds will be placed on your account preventing future registration, the ability to obtain your transcripts, and, possibly, the ability to receive your diploma.
This varies based on your schedule of classes, housing, bookstore and other charges on your account along with any potential funding you may receive to assist in covering your charges.
Yes, In addition to the regular eBill you receive, you will also receive notices to remind you of your upcoming payments.
You can contact the staff overseeing the Payment Plan via email:
Yes, all accounts with a balance of $200 or more must enroll in a Payment Plan.
The only other options are outside funding sources such as financial aid, scholarships, or a third party sponsorship. If the funding you anticipate does not fully cover your entire account balance, you are still required to enroll in the Payment Plan.
Unfortunately, changing the due dates are not an option.
No. They will only receive the Banner generated billing statement.
More at

University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services

Financial Aid and Scholarship Services’ goal is to provide understandable information and timely service to all students. Financial Aid advisors and staff are here to help you reach your goals.

General Information

The Cost of Attendance is the budgeted estimate of your anticipated costs for attending NMSU for two semesters. You can review the Cost of Attendance by clicking on this link
12 credit hours is considered full time but most scholarships require you to be enrolled in 15 credits per semester. Check your scholarship renewal requirements at to determine the number of credits you should take to maintain your scholarship eligibility
Is a standard set by federal regulation that all student receiving financial aid must meet. To learn more about SAP please read
We start disbursing financial aid into your student account on MyNMSU the Monday before classes start. Only students who are meeting SAP, registered at least half-time and have a complete file will be eligible for disbursement
You can submit your form by uploading through MyNMSU, Fax, mail or dropping off the document to our office
This can be done by logging into MyNMSU. You can follow the steps listed in the Instruction Guide.

Applying for Aid

Most of the financial aid NMSU students receive requires a FAFSA. Filing the FAFSA automatically allows you to be considered for federal and state grants, loans, and Work Study.
The FAFSA is available to complete online or through the MyStudentAid app. A new FAFSA should be completed every year, as soon as it is made available on October 1st each year. NMSU's priority deadline date is March 1st for the following fall. NMSU's School Code is 002657. Meeting the priority deadline date allows you the best opportunity to be considered for the most aid types possible.

In Section Three (Student) of the FAFSA, there is a series of questions that determine if you are a dependent or an independent student according to the Department of Education.

  • If you are able to answer "Yes" to any question in this section, you are considered an independent student, and parent information is not required.
  • If you are not able to answer "Yes" to any question in this section, you are considered a dependent student, and parent information is required.

In limited cases, you may still qualify as an independent student without answering "Yes" to any question. When prompted for parent information, you will instead indicate that you have an extenuating circumstance, and then you should contact our office to speak to a financial aid advisor regarding your situation.

Please note that the following circumstances do not qualify for this process:

  • Your parents refuse to contribute to your education.
  • Your parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA or for verification purposes.
  • Your parents do not claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • You can demonstrate total financial self-sufficiency.
Your EFC is an index number that college financial aid offices use to determine how much financial aid you are eligible to receive. The information you report on your FAFSA is used to calculate your EFC according to a formula established by federal law. Your family's taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) all may be considered in the formula. Also considered are your family size and the number of family members who will attend college or career school during the year. Your financial need is calculated by subtracting your EFC from the cost to attend NMSU.
  • Grants (Pell, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, LEAP Grant, College Affordability Grant) – do not have to be paid back
  • Work Study (Federal, State) – earned through on campus employment
  • Federal Direct Loans (subsidized, unsubsidized, PLUS, Grad PLUS) - must be paid back by students or parents (PLUS), with interest
If your parent was remarried on the day you completed the FAFSA, you are required, per the federal guidelines, to report your step-parent’s tax information along with your parent’s information.

You will be required to provide proof that your parents (or parent and step-parent) were separated on or before the day you completed the FAFSA. You may provide one of the following documentation:

  • A copy of the divorce decree.
  • A copy of the legal separation.
  • Proof of your parent’s physical address as well as proof of your parent’s spouse’s physical address such as copies of utility bills or phone bills dated on/before the day you completed your FAFSA.

You will also be required to provide the IRS tax return transcripts and all W2s for both parents.

If your parents are divorced or separated, you should use the parent with whom you lived the most during the 12 months before filing the FAFSA. If you did not live with either parent during that time, you would use the parent who provided more financial support during the 12 months before filing the FAFSA, or the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent.
No. When you report child support paid on the FAFSA, the amount is excluded from the calculation that determines your eligibility. Therefore, you cannot report child support paid for a child who is also counted in the household size.


Grants are need-based free money awarded to students from federal or state funds (you are not responsible for paying back).


A Federal student loan is money you borrow and must pay back with interest. If you decided to take out a loan, it is important to understand that a loan is a legal obligation that you will be responsible for repaying with interest.
You should only borrow the amount of loans that you need to cover your educational cost. Review all of your educational cost (tuition, meals, book, housing, incidental costs) for the academic year to determine how much you should borrow.
Through your MyNMSU you can accept all or a portion of your loan.
You should complete the Loan Cancellation Form that can be found on the Forms Page. Once the form is completed it must be submitted to your financial aid advisor.
If its within 14 days of your loan being disbursed complete the Loan Cancellation Form and submit it to your financial aid advisor. If its beyond 14 days since your disbursement you will need to contact your Servicer. You can find your Servicer by reviewing your loan on


There are multiple ways for you to apply for scholarships. To be considered for Endowed Scholarships at NMSU you will have to complete a Scholar Dollar$ application. It a single application that us used to match you with all scholarships. You can also use the Private Scholarship Opportunities page to search for additional scholarships.
After general admission to NMSU, students who have submitted test scores, and transcripts will receive letters with their admissions packet. If students submit their materials post-admission, they will receive an email to their MyNMSU Outlook account.
The President Associate scholarship is selected by a committee formed by the NMSU foundation office in which all eligible applicants are carefully reviewed and selected.  The President Associate Scholarship recipients are usually notified by the beginning of April.  When the Financial Aid Office is notified of their selection, we will cancel your Hadley Honors Scholarship and the President Associate Scholarship will be awarded in its place. You are notified by email of these changes as well.
The Financial Aid Office is provided with a list of all eligible National Achievement Scholars and National Hispanic Scholars.  Once this list is received, the Financial Aid Office will award the Conroy Scholarship.  This usually takes place no later than February.
You will receive an e-mail once you have submitted your Scholar Dollar$ application. Scholar Dollar$ Scholarships are awarded on a random basis, unfortunately not everybody who applies will be awarded a scholarship.  If you are awarded a Scholar Dollar$ scholarship, you will be notified by email.
Institutional scholarships require 15 NEW credit hours and not repeated courses. If you must repeat a course, it will not be counted into the 15 NEW credit hours required for institutional scholarships, you will need to take additional hours to add up to 15 NEW credits.
Students are given a full academic year to maintain scholarship eligibility. If you are not able to meet scholarship requirements after the summer semester, unfortunately, you lose scholarship eligibility. You may appeal if you have documentation of an extenuating circumstance that prevented you from being able to meet the scholarship requirements.
Yes, dropping a course will affect the credit hours you have completed for the semester.  If you do not complete the required 15 credit hours in the fall or spring semester, you will need to use the summer semester to make up the credits you are lacking.  If you do not complete 30 NEW/not repeated credit hours by the end of the academic year, you will lose your scholarship eligibility.
Unfortunately, no. Once you have been awarded a scholarship based on your eligibility criteria as an incoming Freshman, you will remain with that scholarship for the 8 semesters as long as you meet the scholarship requirements.
Beginning Fall 2020 semester, mixed enrollment is not allowed. You must be enrolled in all Las Cruces Campus courses to be eligible for any institutional scholarships. You may contact your Academic Advisor to review course-related options.
March 1 is the priority deadline, however, the Scholar Dollar$ application is open year-round.  You can submit a Scholar Dollar$ application at any time, you will maximize your chances at being awarded a scholarship if you apply by March 1.
You will need to meet with your Academic Advisor to change your degree in the system.  Once the change is made, it will automatically update in the Scholar Dollar$ Application.
Yes, your Lottery Scholarship will adjust to pay for the credits you are enrolled in between campuses, unless you have been awarded the full sector average for Las Cruces Campus Lottery.
No, students must enroll full-time at a public post-secondary educational institution in New Mexico within 16 months of graduation or receipt of a high school equivalency credential and maintain continuous full-time enrollment (15 credit hours).
15 credit hours per semester at a four-year New Mexico public university and 12 credit hours per semester at a two-year public community college.
Yes, to transfer your Lottery Scholarship from another NM institution, you must request a Scholarship Transfer Transcript (STT) from the institution you are transferring from to be sent to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship Services office at NMSU. You can request the STT form be sent by fax 575-646-7381 or e-mail at
Students with a qualified disability who are registered with NMSU Student Accessibility Services Office (SAS) may be approved to complete a reduced number of credits (6-14 credits) for their scholarships. Student may utilize this adjustment for up to fourteen terms at NMSU with one additional term for each term that a full-time discount/waiver is used. If a reduced number of credits is determined appropriate, a new waiver is required each term and must be on file prior to the start of classes. All other scholarship requirements remain the same for institutional and Lottery scholarships.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress includes your entire academic history and is automatically updated at the end of each semester to include new grades. We begin the process of determining SAP status for the next term after grades post each semester.
If you had a verifiable illness or emergency you may submit an appeal that will be reviewed to determine if you can continue to receive financial with specific stipulations.
A complete appeal form must include signatures from both student and academic adviser where applicable, a written explanation of the circumstances that caused the student to fall below Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards, an explanation of what has changed to prevent the circumstance from happening in the future and official third-party documentation to support the explanation.

Acceptable supporting documentation must verify the circumstance described and correlate the circumstance with the term(s) of unsuccessful coursework. Documentation must also be provided by an official third party. Examples of acceptable documentation include:

  • Medical records
  • Police records
  • Signed letter on official letterhead from a therapist, counselor, member of religious organization, or other person with professional relationship to student who was aware of circumstance
You will have to seek alternative payment methods that do not require you to meet SAP.
You are now eligible to receive financial aid only for the courses required for the completion of your degree program. You may also be placed on an Academic Plan by your Financial Aid Advisor. If you are placed on an Academic Plan you will be notified via email that you need to meet with your Financial Aid Advisor to discuss and sign the Academic Plan.
Follow all the stipulations listed on the Academic Plan and you will maintain your financial aid eligibility.
More at

University Student Records

The University Student Records Office (SRO) manages all aspects of current and historical student academic records. As steward of the University’s academic records, we ensure accuracy and integrity, protect student data, and enforce the standards set by University policies and procedures, and state and federal laws.

Per NM law, in general, a student must have lived in New Mexico for the previous 12 consecutive months to be considered a NM resident. To view all the requirements necessary to Petition for In-State tuition, visit Residency is not changed “automatically”. Students must submit a Petition for NM Resident Tuition Classification to the University Student Records Office by the third Friday of the semester for which the student wants to apply for in-state tuition as a NM resident.
A student’s date of birth is classified as non-directory personal information. As such it is protected by FERPA (the federal Family Educational Right and Privacy Act), and will not be published on any documents provided by the University without the student’s written permission.
No, an Unofficial Transcript is primarily for informational use by the student and/or an advisor. The Unofficial Transcript is not stamped with the University Seal because it is not an Official Transcript. The Official Transcript is normally required to validate grades and degrees earned by the student, and to evaluate transfer credits.
If a student changes their name after they are no longer enrolled at the University, the name on their transcript and/or diploma will not be changed. Students must be currently enrolled to have their name changed in the University’s student information system of record.
Official Transcripts submitted to NMSU for admission or transfer credit evaluation become the property of NMSU. The student should request an Official Transcript from the school that originally issued it. There are exceptions to this, specifically for international transcripts. Please contact the Student Records Vault Coordinator to inquire, keeping in mind that academic records are purged in accordance with State of New Mexico Records Retention regulations. The student should contact the location where the GED was taken or the State of New Mexico GED/HS Diploma office for a copy of their GED certificate.
Courses equivalencies are determined by University faculty, as subject matter experts, or as reviewed and agreed upon in compliance with the State of NM Common Course Number Matrix. An unofficial Transfer Course Equivalency Tool is available at Upon final admission and receipt of the official transcripts from previously attended institutions of higher education, an official evaluation of transfer credits will be emailed to the student and posted on their NMSU transcript.
The grades for all courses a student enrolls in will appear on the transcript. However, if a student repeats a course in which they had already earned a C- or better, only the first passing grade earned will be included in the GPA calculation. Students should not repeat courses for which they have received a grade of C- or better without consulting with their academic and financial aid advisors.
A student must submit their Medical Withdraw form and supporting document within one academic year of the semester during which the medical event occurred. A medical withdrawal will cause the student to be withdrawn from ALL the classes they were enrolled in during the semester being petitioned.
If the student did not submit a Degree Application for the semester, the College will not automatically review a student’s record for degree certification. If the student did submit a Degree Application for the semester, the College has not certified the degree, yet. The College Dean’s Office has ten business days after final grades are processed to certify a student’s degree. The student should wait those ten business days. If the ten business days have passed, the student should contact their College Dean’s Office to inquire into the status of their degree certification.
Academic records are retained in accordance with the State of NM Records Retention regulations
There may be several reasons:
  • You only have 24 hours from when the email is sent to claim your seat in the class. If it has been more than 24 hours, the next student on the waitlist would receive the email.
  • If you have a registration hold on your account, you will not be able to register for classes until you resolve the issue with the office that placed the hold on your account.
  • If you have not met the pre-reqs for the course you are trying to register for, you will not be able to register for the class without instructor approval.
A final grade of “N” means your instructor did not submit a final grade by the deadline. You instructor will now have to submit a Change of Grade form to be manually processed. As soon as the Change of Grade is received and entered by Student Records staff, your grade will appear on your my.nmsu and transcript, and your GPA will be recalculated.
You can withdraw from a single course by filling out a Change of Schedule form, located under the Forms tab on the University Student Records website (, and submitting the form from your NMSU email or by fax to either your Academic Advisor or to the University Student Records Office.
You were only withdrawn from the semester indicated on the Official Withdrawal from University form. It is called an Official Withdrawal from University because that is how we indicate on your student record that you are no longer registered for that semester. An Official Withdrawal from University form does not affect registration for future semesters, unless you don’t enroll again within the next three semesters. If you don’t enroll for three semesters in a row (including summer), you will have to be readmitted to the University.
All Important Dates for the current and upcoming semester can be found under the Dates and Deadline tab (Important Dates for Students) on the University Student Records.
Graduates can view their diploma status online at For specific questions on your diploma status, please email
There is a $10 fee associated with a duplicate diploma. The duplicate diploma order form can be found online at
The hold is placed on your account by the Financial Aid Office because you need to complete Exit Counseling. Exit Counseling can be completed online at
The application for degree should be submitted online under the Student Tab in your My.NMSU.

Important Links

More at